Wednesday, October 22, 2008







Polwarth in colorway "English Garden" from Rovings, a Canadian company. There was quite a contingent at the door to the Market whose goal was this booth. I lemminged right along. It was at the very rear of the room and instantly held more than capacity. Pretty much just grabbed. So I got 2 bags of top and passed up a huge bag of carded. Good thing cause it turned out to be over 2 pounds and NEVER. Anyhow, we're in the line a long time looking at these $65 bags of roving and wondering if they're not a bit pricey. 500 grams. No one knew. Then a guy came along. He'll know. So he pulled out his calculator and told us 13+ oz. OK. Still pricey but it's vacation. So I get it home, tear it in half and start for my 3 ply. Taking way longer than usual. So then I remember the 13oz. Still seemed long. Moose came home and was able to figure it at 18. Whoa. So I killed my shoulder doing all the singles last week cause if it had been put away......

During my class Jim, who sat next to me, was able to unstick my flyer. So for this I used the bulky flyer to ply. 800 yards of heavy worsted weight. Spinning larger yarn was addressed in one of my classes so I tried. It was a nice fiber to work with, sort of between Corrie and Falkland, the yarn is soft enough for skin but should wear well. Doesn't look pilly. When washed it gave off an odor of permanent wave solution! cured by lavendar and hanging in the sun for 8 hours. The colors are those of hollyhocks, light pink,pink and that dark maroon. Or every color of the brick walls in English gardens. The roving really glowed and I knew there were a lot of colors in it but I did it anyways. The yarn is pretty busy and is going to be really hard to make anything but kid sweaters out of. Or mittens, hat, etc. The other bag is a blue/green mix which won't look so scattered. Next time I feel like doing 18 oz in a week!

1 comment:

Larissa said...

Gorgeous spinning--I would totally wear something out of those colors! I aspire to your 3 ply :)