I made my first pair of real, turn the heel, socks in 1972. Red worsted acrylic, one is still in existence. It will last till the Apocalypse because my husband only wore them about once. VERY STURDY sock. I should keep it in the trunk in case we need traction on ice. Started again when self striping yarn showed up here. Tried fancy patterns and settled into plain on Addi 0's because I liked the fabric. One short row heel that wore through fast, then all heel flap. Now some of them are in need of darning. I did a few pair for Moose (DH) and put the rest in bags. Cause I would rather - almost- knit a new sock than darn. Since his are size 12 I forced myself. It's all going to be afterthought heel now. It will take about the same amount of time to reknit and be less painful. The down side is that the 3 needle bind-off isn't nice in that area so I have to Kitchener. The only directions that I've been able to follow with minimal trouble have been in Charlene Schurch's Knitting Marvelous Mittens, when I could find it under the piles of sock yarn. So I'm now using the waste yarn chimney method. Bonus: no idea why this happens but most of the time there are no ears.
Lately I've tried using my handspun. I've mostly been using Addi 1's and getting a gauge of 8 st = 1". But the row gauge is different every time which necessitates fiddling the heel decreases. This is the seminal pair, in Twist and Shout, from CMF. One flap, one not. Not a useful pic of the heel. But it is visible in the previous post. The feet look really fat in this pic but they aren't. Just a side effect of being knit on 1's. They fit well and don't slide around. If I could upload my own pictures and not wait around for Moose, I'd take a better one. But this shows the beautiful color variations of the yarn.